11 January 2009

New Snowshoes

Well, after lots of research both online and in store, I finally made my purchase and acquired a new pair of  GV Polar Trail 9x32 snowshoes.

I must first off thank everyone on the Algonquin Adventures forum for the advice, feedback and list of things to consider. All were very useful, and helped me to make what I hope is a well informed choice.

I acquired them at Mountain Equipment Coop in Toronto, and while the decision was difficult, especially since I had originally wanted a pair of Tubbs, after a long chat with the sales people, I came to the decision to skip on the brand for now, and go with the less expensive GV Polar Trail 9x32 model instead.  For those interested, they came in at $265.00, which was under my budget price, so I was also abel to acquire some new Black Diamond Traverse Poles as well.
Some of the other selling features for me were:
  1. Made in Canada;
  2. Frames are made of T7-7075 AeroLite aluminum (so they are very strong and very light);
  3. Ratchet buckles are freeze-resistant, allowing precise and effortless adjustment even with gloved hands.
  4. Heel straps are lightweight and won't freeze;
  5. Equipped with rear aluminum traction crampons for easier traverses and uphill climbs;
  6. Rated excellent for both Hiking and Backcountry;
  7. Lifetime Warranty.
Interestingly enough they are also used by the Canadian Forces, which while not really a selling feature to me, was definitely an interesting tidbit.

Now all I need is for Friday to come, when I'm off to Mew Lake Campground for a weekend get away, and a chance to test my new new babies out.

My plan is to leave on Friday after work, stay at my cottage that evening, and then leave for Algonquin by 9:00 am, and arriving at Mew Lake with permit in hand by 10:00 am the next morning.  I am hoping to have my camp set up by noon, and then head out on a trail for the afternoon.  

My trail choice is still up in the air, but I am still interested in your input in that, and ask all readers to partake in my trail survey to help me choosing the trail to attempt.

As for the weather, the long rang forecast is looking good, with a mix of sun and clouds and a chance of flurries on Saturday.  The daytime highs while a bit on the chilly side, are expected to be around minus 12, and an evening low of minus 23. (Like I said earlier, I'm booking an electric site for insurance.) 

Now all I need to do is wait for Friday ..... only 5 more sleeps!




Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I'm looking for snowchoose but not for the same use as you ...
I live in the french alps and love to ski tour with my snowboard, so I need snow shoes with a big flotability in fresh snow, so Ican reach the summit with good legs for the descent ...

I think the GV polar trail are fine but I would advices of someone who tried it to be sure...
And a last question : doesn't the hot snow accumulate into the hooks ?

thanks for answering
Marc from Grenoble ( France )